Creating product ads to retarget to people who have landed in the advertisers conversion funnel is cumbersome, manual and practically not feasible.
- Showing a relevant ad to people who viewed the product on advertiser website requires creating separate post per product(s) and building retargeting audiences for each promotion
- Requires setting up separate campaigns to reach audiences on mobile and desktop
- Retailers with thousands of products will not be able to scale their campaigns or effectively manage their campaigns across multiple categories
Dynamic products allow advertisers to promote any product in their catalog while showing the relevant product to their customers across devices, and at scale
- Upload your product catalog with list of products you want to advertise on Facebook
- Set up your Pixel (or app events if you have an app) to report when product ids from your catalog are viewed, added to cart or purchased
- Build your retargeting audiences using products people have viewed, added to cart or purchased and user behaviors
- Create dynamic ad templates with single/multiple products that are automatically filled with appropriate product information such as name, image, and price from your feed
- Run dynamic product ads Display relevant products to people as they browse products on your website or app.
Promote relevant products to shoppers browsing across web and apps.
- Highly relevant: Show people ads for products they are interested in order to increase their likelihood to purchase
- Scale: Promote all of your products with unique creative without having to configure each individual ad
- Cross-device: Reach people with ads on any device they use, regardless of their original touch point for your business
- Always-on: Set up your campaigns once and continually reach people with the right product at the right time
Sample Use Cases
Advertisers need to have these dynamic product ad specific requirements in place before they can get started with product ads. The following should be performed in Facebook Business Manager:
1. Upload Product Catalog in Business Manager with list of products to advertise
2. Update website Facebook Pixel code to include purchase funnel events with appropriate product specific event data. Optionally, add purchase funnel events to your app.
3. Associate Pixel & Apps to the product catalog so that Facebook can associated the events to products within selected catalog
Step 1 - Upload Product Catalog to Facebook
The Product catalog is a list of products you would like to advertise on Facebook. Each line in the catalog is a product represented in your online store, such as a SKU or stock keeping unit. Products in the catalog are described with ID, name, category, availability, product URL, image URL and other product attributes.
Required Product fields:
- any one of gtin, mpn or brand
To create/upload a product catalog:
- The business must be listed in Business Manager
- You should be an employee of the business or be an employee of an agency which is assigned to the business
- You should have access to the catalog and be the admin of the product catalog
Product Feeds must be added to the catalog to upload the product.
- Multiple product feeds can be added to the same catalog. Example: Each feed can represent a geography, currency, etc.
- Feeds can be uploaded manually or scheduled for recurring daily (recommended) or weekly uploads
- Product feeds can be tab, bar, comma or tilde delimited.
Feed debugger tool: https://business.facebook.com/ads/product_catalog/debug/
Step 2 - Pixel & App Events
Facebook pixel should be placed on advertiser website with these required funnel events on appropriate pages. Optionally, update the app to include funnel events on appropriate pages
Step 3 - Associate Pixel & Apps to Catalog
Associate the Facebook Pixel & Apps to the product catalog on Facebook Business Manager.
- Pixel Helper https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-pixel/pixel-helper
- App Ads Helper https://developers.facebook.com/tools/app-ads-helper/
- App Analytics https://developers.facebook.com/apps
Creating DPA's in AdParlor
A Product Set is a set of filters applied on a Product Catalog to organize your products into groups.
In AdParlor, create your Product Sets from the Library > Product Sets. Add multiple rules to further filter down your products:
Create new Product Audiences in AdParlor via Library > Audiences:
- Select a funnel event. Ex: AddToCart
- Next, set the retention window for the event behavior. Ex: 60 days
- Exclusion rules can be added after adding at least one inclusion. Ex: Purchased in the last 30 days
Create a DPA campaign by selecting the Product Catalog Sales objective and the appropriate Product Catalog:
All placements and targeting options are available for Dynamic Product Ads.
Select the product audiences you want to retarget from the Audience category:
Finalize your Ad Sets by specifying the optimization and billing event. Listed below are the options:
Dynamic Product Ad
Creating the Dynamic Product Ad by selecting the appropriate post type:
- Instagram Compatible
- Carousel - Specify the number of products to be displayed within the carousel: 3,4 or 5. All cards will use the same dynamic template for the post information. Optionally, add an end card for your carousel.
Add dynamic text that will auto-populate within your creative copy according to each product, alongside static text.
Finally, assign the Dynamic Product Ads to Ad Sets that are using the same Product Set.
Reach out to your Technical Account Manager with any questions about how you can start utilizing Dynamic Product Ads today!